Universities are the oldest non-technical schools. Their educational offer is usually quite complex and each department has got many fields of study with varied specializations that educate skilled graduates.
In Poland the term “university” may be used in the name of the school, which has got the right to confer the doctor degree in at least ten disciplines, including at least two of given below fields of study:
- humanities, law, economics or theology
- mathematical, physical, earth sciences or technical
- biological, medical, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural or veterinary use
Name the technical university can be used in case of school that the agencies have the authority to confer doctoral degrees in at least ten disciplines, including at least six powers in the field of technical sciences.
In turn, the term "university" supplemented by an adjective in order to determine the profile of the university can be used in the name of the university, that business units have at least six powers to confer doctoral degrees, including at least four of the sciences covered by the profile of the university.
In Poland there are 44 universities:
- 42 state universities (18 traditional universities and 24 the so-called „adjectival universities” (with adjective in its name)
- 2 private universities (Catholic)